Friday, May 26, 2017

12 or 1200?




Image source : google search - onecommunityglobal.org

It's in 1995 or 1996. I can't remember the exact date. But from then to now I can't be able to forget the situation I have faced then. Whenever, wherever I found any chance to share that among my friends, relatives. colleagues or anyone else I shared instantly. This is the first time I'm posting it officially in a Blog Post.
It could be anywhere, in my case it was happened in my country, Bangladesh, at a public place where I used to go regularly at that time. In a shiny afternoon while I was there to buy something, a small crowd pulled my attention.

A man around 40-50 years old was half-lying beside the road with a poorly weak physical condition. His speechless pale face was expressing a lot. Though he was trying to tell the people surrounding or passing by him that he was starving from the last 24-26 hours. He was a poor and helpless man, had no money to buy some food to eat. Maximum people present there (including me) were familiar with his poor position. It was unknown that either he had a place to live or either any relative in his contact?

Now the main point, that knocked my partially matured conscience (and still knocking) was - at that time the minimum cost of some food for his initial survival was just 12.00 (currency was not a vital point here). I don't know why no one (including me!) took any step to help him?

My position was that I wanted to buy something very necessary for me costs 20.00 and that all I have that time. Though I can afford 12.00 for him and for my necessity purpose I could arrange that amount again within less than an hour, but I didn't do that!

Image source : google search - kindness campaign @CrowdKind
 
After 6-7 hours while I was returning through that same way surprisingly/coincidentally a bit bigger crowd draw my attention where the man was struggling. I found him dead there. And I felt regret?

I heard discussing people present there that they had to do something with the corpse of that poor human being. As none of his relative ever found or known by anyone, it was decided to arrange a funeral for him which will cost around 1200.00 Two or three person among the crowd were instantly being ready to bear the amount! Within the next 15 minutes the money was arranged and they started the funeral process and it was finished successfully!


The summary of that incident (from my opinion), which will be kept in my deeper mind (non erasable) till my death is - in our present so called developed twentieth century's social status define that we cannot spend an amount of 12.00 for a living human being which he/she needed deadly and whether we have 6-7 hours in hand for doing that. But we are ready to spend even 1200.00 within just 15 minutes after his/her death!

Image source : google search - pinterest.co

  So now I'm so confused that

which should be our right choice?

'12 or 1200 ?'

No comments:

Post a Comment